My meat-loving paleo brother and his vegetarian girlfriend (yes, they make an odd, but lovely, couple) came over for dinner while she was visiting from Miami. I wasn’t worried about feeding Megan, but I considered the possibility that my brother might order himself a bucket of chicken upon his arrival and discovery of tofu on the menu. Luckily, this spicy baked tofu was so flavourful, hearty and delicious that my little bro had not one, but TWO helpings.
This tofu would also make a great protein topping for a crisp summer salad or roll it up in tortillas for spicy fajitas.
To keep things easy on a work day, I made the marinade the night before and tossed it in a container with the tofu to refrigerate overnight.
Chipotle Baked Tofu Sandwiches
- 1 lb super-firm organic tofu
- 1 cup Mexican beer
- 3 tbsp chipotles in adobo, pureed
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Whisk together all ingredients, except tofu, to make marinade.
- Slice tofu into 1/2 inch wedges..
- Pour marinade onto small baking sheet, toss tofu until well coated and bake for 20 minutes at 400F. Flip tofu and bake another 20 minutes until marinade has been absorbed.
- Remove from oven and serve with soft whole-wheat buns smeared with refried beans and vegan mayonnaise, avocado slices, pickled banana peppers, tomato slices, shredded romaine and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!